Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Adventures in the South Pacific - Issue 17

Paradise Isn't Always Perfect . . .

It turns out that Jess wasn't the one we needed to worry about.

It was me.

I got sea sick for the first time in my life. And I stayed that way for the entire journey. If I was lying down, I was O.K. If I sat up or stood up, well . . . I threw up.

It was ugly.

Before our departure, because we thought Jess might have a problem, I quizzed several cruisers who had experience with sea sickness. They recommended ginger cookies and candy, soda crackers and coca cola, various homeopathic remedies, lavender oil, acupressure bands, some sort of pills and the patch.

I bought all the provisions. Brian had patches. Someone gave me the "best" pills.

So, as a precaution, I used the pills - you take 1 before you leave and another 8 hours later. Then no more pills. I cut a patch in half and put it behind Jess' ear.

He had no problems. I actually think the medicine was most of mine.

Night and day for 3 days I sat up, threw up, and did watches every 6 hours. I tried to find something that would stay down. Eventually after the medicine wore off and I lost all resolve, I finally resorted to coca cola. I truly believed I would never have another one as long as I lived. Having too many way back when had done a serious number on my health. But now, it was literally the only thing that helped. It tasted terrible. (thankfully). The last thing I wanted was another addiction to coca cola.

Jess, on the other hand, did great. Being woken up at all times of night and day to do 3 hour watches. He was a real trooper. It wasn't easy and staying awake was very difficult depending on the time of day (or night). But he lived up to the commitment he had made. I was so proud. 

Debbie Takara Shelor

No comments:

Post a Comment